Job Location: BEP North America | Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Job Summary: Develop innovative mechanical design concepts resulting in new or improved products or systems to meet specific market demands. Research, plan and design mechanical and electromechanical products and systems for test equipment. Determine the feasibility of designs or applications to meet customer’s needs. Clarify performance criteria, scope of work, and specifications through interaction with customer, sales, and other team members.
Job Specifications: A Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Mechanical Engineering; current Professional Engineer’s License is a plus. Ten or more years of experience in design of custom machines or test equipment. Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills and leadership skills. Experience designing in with Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks and AutoCAD 2D. Competent in use of Microsoft Office Suite. Finite Element Analysis capability is desirable. Travel as needed (10 to 20%), including domestic and international.
Primary skills and responsibilities: (Others may be assigned)
- Originate and prepare proposals concepts, models, drawings and technical support documentation.
- Execute machine design calculations and analysis including finite element analysis as needed.
- Create design strategies to ensure improvements in performance, cost of manufacturing, ease of assembly, marketability, ergonomics, aesthetics, vibration control, and maintenance.
- Create 3D CAD models; Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Lubrication diagrams; and nested, modular Bills Of Materials.
- Create Assembly and Sub-Assembly drawings and release to production.
- Provide manufacturing requirements, work instructions, control plans, and other required data to Manufacturing.
- Support manufacturing by coordinating fabrication and installation activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design, intent and customer specifications.
- Direct Machine Build Team in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and develop methods and procedures for testing products or systems.
- Assist with testing, de-bugging, trouble-shooting, diagnosis and analysis including error tracking and open issues resolution.
- Evaluate field installations and recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Execution of inventions, designs and solid modeling of new machines.
- Guide in design of machinery, including design concepts, design strategies, analysis, component selection, and application of specific knowledge to internal and off-site sources.
- Process and support during all phases of projects involving new machines, re-work machines, kits, or repair orders.